Be careful – police do not always follow the law or respect our rights. Try to record the search or get witnesses. Read our leaflet on dealing with the police.
Printable BDS stop and search leaflet.
Before you are searched, the police MUST tell you
- What law they are using
- Their reason for searching you
- Their name or badge number
- What they are looking for
- That you can have a copy of the ‘search form’
- You NEVER have to give your personal details to the police if you are just being searched
- You DO NOT have to answer police questions or “account” for yourself
- GBC guide to Stop and Search – https://greenandblackcross.org/guides/stop-and-search/
- NetPol guide to filming the police during a search – https://netpol.org/2012/07/27/a-rough-guide-to-filming-the-police-during-a-stop-search/
- Phone app for monitoring stop & search – http://www.stopandsearch.org/
- Short film about your rights from Million Youth Media – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv7E5KF5Xxo
If you have experienced a Stop & Search and would like advice you are welcome to e-mail or call us – 07510283424; bristoldefendantsolidarity[at]riseup.net
Pingback: Going Protesting? Know Your Rights! | Alternative Bristol